The Bible is the final authority in all matters of faith and doctrine. The Schools consider the Standards, which consist of the Westminster Confession of Faith with the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, while subordinate to Scripture, to be the best and most accurate summary of the Word of God and, therefore, our statement of faith and doctrine.
- Sovereignty of God: God sovereignly controls all that occurs in His world and in His Church. His plans and purposes always prevail; nothing can thwart them.
- Inerrancy of Scripture: God's written Word, the Bible, is free from error and completely trustworthy. It is His Truth and the final authority in all matters of life and faith.
- God's Creation of the World and Man: The Triune God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - alone, existed from eternity past and in His wisdom decided to create the universe from nothing. God spoke, and it came into existence. Humanity did not evolve from lower life forms but was created by God. Man - male and female - was created with dignity in that he is made in God's image and created in humility in that his purpose is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.
- Fall of Mankind: All mankind participated in Adam's fall from his original sinless state and thus became dead in sin and wholly defiled (WCF, Ch. VI.II).
- Jesus, Savior of Sinners: Jesus Christ is the unique Son of God and the only Savior of the world. He was born of a virgin and lived a sinless life. He purchased redemption by His vicarious, substitutionary atonement on the cross. Jesus bodily rose from the dead, ascended to the right hand of the Father, and He will come again in power and glory.
- Justification by Faith Alone: All men are sinners. Sinners are justified by faith alone. They do not deserve salvation, and they cannot earn or work for salvation. Justification is totally due to God's grace and received by faith in Jesus Christ.
- Empowering Holy Spirit: Every true believer in Jesus Christ is indwelt and empowered by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit enables believers to live a godly life and to perform good works.
- Final Judgment and Resurrection: At the Second Coming of Christ, the saved and the lost will be bodily resurrected and judged. The saved are resurrected to eternal life, and the lost are resurrected to eternal condemnation.
The Schools affirm the positions taken by the Presbyterian Church in America on issues related to sexuality [General Assemblies 5 (1977), 21 (1993), and 27 (1999)]. The Schools’ position on all matters related to sexual purity is best summarized in Westminster Larger Catechism Question and Answer number 139.